Some Windows users have encountered an error » The printer requires your attention » when printing in Windows. The error dialog box appears: » The printer requires your attention. Go to the desk and take care of it. »Usually this has to do with settings that require attention, or you may need to enter a username before printing a document, image, or page.
Sometimes you can go to the desktop and follow some guidelines within a dialog box. However, opening the desktop does not always provide an indication of what the problem is and how to fix it. It doesn’t always block printing, but some will no doubt wonder how to resolve the error. So how can you fix this printer error?
How to repair The printer requires your attention message?
Printer requires your attention message may prevent you from printing, and speaking of printer problems, here are some common problems that users have reported:
- Canon, Brother, Epson Printer Attention Needed – This issue can affect almost all printer brands, and most of our solutions are universal, so they work with almost all printer brands.
- Windows 10 User Required Printer – This message is common in Windows 10, and if you find it, make sure your drivers are up to date.
- Attention Lexmark Printer Required – This problem may appear with Lexmark printers, and if you run into this problem, you can try reinstalling your printer.
- Printer requires user intervention – Another way to solve this problem is to check the ink levels in the printer. If the ink levels are low, be sure to replace the cartridges and see if this solves the problem.
Method 1 – Run the troubleshooter
If you still receive the message The printer requires your attention , you may be able to fix the problem simply by running a built-in troubleshooter. Windows has several troubleshooters available and you can use them to fix all kinds of problems.
To run a troubleshooter, just do the following:
- Press Windows Key + I to open the Settings app .
- Navigate to the Update and Security section.
- Choose Troubleshoot from the menu. Select Printer from the list of troubleshooters and click the Run the troubleshooter button .
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the troubleshooter.
After the troubleshooter completes, check if the problem with the printer is still there.
- There is also a more up-to-date printer troubleshooter specifically designed to fix Windows 10 printing errors. Press the Run Troubleshooter button on this web page to save the Windows print troubleshooter.
- Now click on Printerdiagnostic10 to open the new troubleshooter. It works very similar to the built-in troubleshooter, but you should also select Printer that appears in your window before pressing Next .
Method 2 – Print web pages with an alternative browser
Some have found that The printer requires their attention The error only occurs when printing with a specific browser. So if you are getting the error when printing web pages with a browser, open and print the pages in alternate browsers instead. For example, Google Chrome users may find that they can print pages in IE, Edge, or Firefox without any errors.
Method 3 – Disable Protected Mode in Internet Explorer
- This is a possible solution more specific to Internet Explorer. First, open Internet Explorer in Windows.
- Click Tools and select Internet Options from the menu to open the following window.
- Select the Security tab and deselect Enable Protected Mode if it is selected.
- Now press the Apply and OK buttons .
- Close IE, right-click on the browser icon, and select Run as administrator .
Method 4 – Update drivers
Another cause for the Printer requires your attention message may be your printer driver. Sometimes the driver can be outdated, leading to this and many other problems. However, you can fix the problem simply by updating the drivers.
There are several ways to do this, but the best method is to visit the printer manufacturer’s website and download the driver for your printer model. Although this is the best method, some users may want to use an easier solution.
If you want to automatically update the drivers on your PC, you can use a third-party tool like TweakBit Driver Updater (approved by Norton and Microsoft). This tool is incredibly simple to use, and you should be able to update your drivers with just one click.
Once you update the printer driver, the problem will be completely resolved.
Method 5 – Install the latest updates
Another cause for the message that the printer requires your attention may be the lack of Windows updates. Windows 10 is a solid operating system, but sometimes certain errors can occur. The best way to correct these errors is to keep your system up to date.
Windows 10 installs missing updates automatically, but sometimes an update may be missed due to certain issues. However, you can manually check for updates by doing the following:
- Open the Settings app .
- Now go to the Update and security section .
- Click Check for updates button.
If updates are available, they will be downloaded in the background and installed as soon as you restart your PC. Once your PC restarts, check if the problem is still there.
Method 6 – Restart the Print Spooler service
To print documents, services such as Print Spooler must work properly. If there is a problem with this service, the message The printer requires your attention may appear . To fix this problem, you need to reset this service as follows:
- Press Windows Key + R and enter services.msc . Now press Enter or click OK .
- When the Services window opens , locate the Print Spooler service .
- Now choose Restart from the menu.
Wait a few moments while the service restarts. After the service is restarted, check if the printing problem is still there.
Method 7 – Assign a static IP address to your printer
According to users, Printer requires your attention, a message may appear if you are using a network printer. To fix this problem, users suggest to remove the printer and install it again. In addition to reinstalling the printer, be sure to assign it a static IP address.
Several users reported that this solution worked for them, so be sure to give it a try.
Method 8 – Check the ink levels
In several cases, users reported that The printer requires their attention was caused by low ink. If you suspect your ink levels are the problem, be sure to remove the ink cartridges and shake them a bit.
Once this is done, the problem should be resolved at least temporarily. If you want a permanent solution, you may want to replace your cartridges.
Method 9 – Make sure your printer is installed correctly
Sometimes The printer requires your attention a message may appear if the printer is not installed correctly. To make sure everything works properly, make sure to reinstall the printer correctly and follow all the steps.
Even if you are using a wireless printer, be sure to follow the most basic steps, such as connecting the printer to your PC when necessary. Sometimes minor steps can make a difference, so be sure to follow all of them.
These are some possible fixes for The printer requires your attention error. If you have any other solutions for the error, please share them below.