Before the update, most Windows users were ignorant of a built-in security solution. The third-party solutions were state-of-the-art software to protect us from annoying malware. However, with Windows 10, Microsoft offers enhanced Windows Defender as a viable alternative for users around the world.
Although Defender offers strong protection with frequent security updates, there are some issues. Some of the users reported error code when they tried to perform a custom scan. Also, Defender appears to crash before an offline scan completes. We look at it and address this issue with few possible solutions.
How to fix Windows Defender error 0x80070015
According to users, Windows Defender error 0x80070015 can appear on your system sometimes, and speaking of this error, here are some similar issues that users reported:
- Error Code 0x80070015 Windows 10 Installation – This problem can sometimes occur when trying to install a new version of Windows 10. This problem can be caused by a third-party antivirus, so be sure to disable it.
- Error 0x80070015 Windows update – Sometimes this error message can interfere with Windows Update. If that’s the case, make sure to reset the Windows Update components and see if that helps.
- 0x80070015 Windows Store – This error can sometimes affect Windows Store as well. If you find it, be sure to try all the solutions in this article.
Solution 1 – Install the latest updates
According to users, Windows Defender error 0x80070015 usually occurs because the system is out of date. An outdated system can have certain errors and glitches present, and if you want to make sure your PC runs smoothly, you need to keep your system up to date.
In most cases, Windows 10 automatically installs missing updates, but sometimes you might miss an update or two. However, you can always check for updates by doing the following:
- Open the Settings app . You can do this quickly by pressing Windows Key + R .
- When the Settings app opens, go to the Update & Security section.
- Click the Check for Updates button in the right pane.
If updates are available, they will automatically download in the background. Once the updates are downloaded, simply restart your PC to install them. Once your system is up to date, the problem should be completely resolved.
Solution 2 – Remove any third-party antivirus software
Windows Defender does not work well with third-party antivirus tools, and if Windows Defender error 0x80070015 occurs, the cause may be antivirus software. If you use another tool together with Windows Defender, it is recommended to disable or uninstall it.
After doing that, the problem should be fully resolved. If you are not satisfied with Windows Defender, you can always switch to other antivirus software. If you want a reliable antivirus that won’t cause any problems on your system, we highly recommend that you consider Bitdefender 2019.
Solution 3 – Uncheck the drives that are not present in Custom scan
Some users reported that there is a certain error in the Custom Scan. According to them, if they select an empty drive or USB stick, the Defender hangs. So what you want to do is ignore or uncheck those drives. After that, the Custom Scan should work without a problem.
Solution 4: resetting Windows Update services
According to users, sometimes Windows Update services can interfere with the system causing Windows Defender error 0x80070015 to appear. If you have such a problem, it is recommended that you reset Windows Update services. To do this, you just have to follow these simple steps:
- Press Windows Key + X to open the Win + X menu. From the list of results choose Command Prompt (Admin) or PowerShell
2. (Admin) .When Command Prompt opens , run the following commands:
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop cryptSvc
- network stop bits
- net stop msiserver
- Ren C: \ NWindows \ SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
- Ren C: \ NWindows \ System32 \ catroot2 Catroot2.old
- net start wuauserv
- net start cryptSvc
- network start bits
- msiserver network start
After running these commands, Windows Update services will be reset and the problem will be completely resolved.
Solution 5 – Rename the CBS.Log file
According to users, Windows Defender 0x80070015 error message can sometimes appear due to issues with CBS.Log file. To solve this problem, you must find and rename the CBS.Log file. This is very simple, and you can do it by following these steps:
- Open File Explorer and navigate to the C: \ WINDOWS \ Logs \ CBS directory
- Locate the CBS.Log file and rename it to something else.
After doing this, check if the problem is resolved.
Several users have reported that they cannot rename this file. This is caused by your services, and to fix this, you just need to do the following:
- Press Windows Key + R and enter services.msc . Press Enter or click OK .
2. When the Services window opens , locate the Windows Module Installer service and double-click it.
3. Set the startup type to Manual and click Apply and OK to save the changes.
Once done, restart your PC.
Once your PC restarts, try renaming the CBS.Log file one more time. After you have changed the file name, change the Windows Module Installer Service Startup Type to its default value.
Solution 6 – Create a new user account
If Windows Defender error 0x80070015 occurs on your computer, the problem may be with the user account. Sometimes a corrupted user account can cause this problem, and to fix it, you need to create a new user account. This is very simple to do, and you can do it by following these steps:
- Open the Settings app and navigate to the Accounts section .
- Select Family and other people from the menu on the left. Now click the Add someone else to this PC button .
- Choose I do not have this person’s login information .
- Go to Add a user without a Microsoft account .
- Enter the desired username for the new account and click Next .
Once you have created a new user account, switch to it and see if this solves your problem. If the problem does not appear in the new account, move your personal files to it and start using it instead of your old account.
Solution 7 – Repair your system files
In some cases, a corrupted Windows installation can cause a Windows Defender 0x80070015 error to appear. However, you can fix this problem simply by performing an SFC scan. To do this, you just have to follow these simple steps:
- Open Command Prompt as administrator.
2. When Command Prompt starts , type sfc / scannow and hit Enter .
3. The SFC scan will start. The CFS scan can take about 15 minutes, so don’t interfere with it.
In some cases, the SFC scan may not be able to fix the problem. If that happens, you need to run the DISM scan by doing the following:
- Start Command Prompt as administrator.
- Now enter DISM / Online / Cleanup-Image / RestoreHealth command.
- Now the DISM scan will start. This scan can take about 20 minutes, so be sure not to interrupt it.
After you have completed the DISM scan, check once more if the problem is still there. If the problem is still there, or if you couldn’t run the SFC scan before, be sure to repeat it now.
Solution 8 – Perform a system restore
If this error started to appear recently, it may have been caused by a recent update or some other change to your system. To fix the problem, it is recommended to perform a system restore. For this, follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + S and enter system restore . Choose Create a restore point from the menu.
- When the System Properties window opens , click the System Restore button .
- System Restore will start . Click on the Next button .
- If available, check Show more restore points . Select the desired restore point and click Next .
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the process.
Once you have restored your system, check if the error message still appears.